Property gifted by my sister. Can my sister's son challenge it?

I have a house from my Late father, & a share of that house was gifted to me by my sister. We are the only children to my father, my mother also expired. My sister is blessed with a son & is a minor, when she gifted her share of the said house to me. Can my nephew (my sister's son) claim the share after he becomes major. Pls advice

Answers (1)

307 votes

It is suggested that your sister should gift the property to  the minor because you will have problem in selling the property until, your nephew becomes major. Also, if she gifts the property to her son, he can claim the property when he becomes major.

Assuming you are Hindu, you will be governed by Hindu Succession Act , so after the death of your sister the property will automatically devolve to your nephew.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles