Property Dispute as step son not signing relinquishment deed

I have a step son whose mother expired when he was 5. Now he is 30 years and married and i have two real daughters. My husband expired 2 years back leaving without a WILL. My step son and me had agreed to distribute the properties amongst themselves by signing on a stamp paper of Rs 100/- at that time as my youngest daughter was not 18 at that time. Now she has become 18 in March. But now my son is not willing to sign on Relinquishment Deed and wants to keep the things pending. Please let me know what action i can take against him as i am asking him since last 6 months but he is adamant.

Answers (3)

190 votes

You can file a suit for declaration and partition of the property of your husband. This will enable you to get one share in the property in your name and one each in the name of your daughters. Please tell whether the property is ancestral ?

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

89 votes

Madam, if your step son does not agree to abide by the terms of your settlement then you may file for partition which will in any case be advantageous for you and your daughters. The exact details will require a thorough discussion

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
70 votes

Legally in such a situation your step son has a maximum share of 1/4th. You could file a suit for partition and have the properties sold through the process of the court in case he remains adamant and does not consent to divide/ distribute the properties.
Regarding the agreement on stamp of 100Rs , the language and nomenclature of the document will have to be seen along with whether it has been registered or not.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles