Procedure to get a stay order on a property about to be sold

My father is selling the property in which we live...but we are not in his favour if he sells the property we will be homeless so we hve apply to get a stay order from court kindly suggest me what we can do nd how we can get a stay order nd plz suggest me some hint to write an application to get stay order...plz help me.

Answers (5)

You need to file a civil suit for the said property claiming your right in the property. The said application will be complemented with a prayer for temporary injunction. You will have to satisfy the court with the following:
(1)That you as the plaintiff has a prima facie case, (2)That the balance of convenience is in favour of plaintiff and (3) That the plaintiff would suffer irreparable injury if your prayer for temporary injunction is disallowed.
An injunction will be allowed for preservation of the subject matter which could be property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Before getting into how to apply for a stay order from the court, there are certain questions which need to be answered by you with respect to the property that is being sold.

for example: what kind of property it is? self acquired or inherited? how long have you been staying here for? etc.

it is better if there is proper conversation on this in detail before a n appropriate step be taken

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate R.K. Gupta
Goyal Vihar, Indore
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Dalal
New Friends Colony, Delhi
22 years Experience

I need to know the basic detail of the property first then i will guide you better you call me

i will try to get the order from the court ASAP


Please clarify if the property is inherited by your father from your grandfather or purchased by own sources and whether you are dependent on your father?
You can accordingly file a suit for restraining your father from selling the property accordingly.
Alternatively, your mother can file a complaint under the Domestic Violence Act claiming stay on the sale of the said property it being her and her children's habitat.

If your father is an absolute owner then there are less chances in your favour. But if the house is a coparcenery property then you can ask for injunction.
A suit for injunction can be filed before the court of competent jurisdiction. Kindly engage some advocate.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

We live in a 'Natham Pormbokke' land in a town panchayat in Tirunelveli Dt. In 2002 we made a land survey with then FMB and marked our boundar…

Read More

Neighbor is selling his house without informing me. Pl. Advice so that I can stop him from selling it to others because I can buy it. If at all he has…

Read More

Hi, I have bought a property and I am the sole owner. The property construction is complete and we have been given possession of the same. Registratio…

Read More

Have lost my father recently and as per his will which has been registered with local Sub registar office the house has been inherited by me post his …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue