Mother expired in 2012 shop in her name and brother in possession

There is a shop of 350 sq ft. in Mumbai. It was in name of my mother. My mother expired in 2012 and no documentation has been done since then. My elder brother is in possession of the property and my father is alive. What can i do to get share in the property?

Answers (1)

433 votes

Assuming you are Hindu. According to the section 15 of the hindu succession act the property of a female if she dies without a will then her property goes to her legal heirs. You being a legal heir of her property can ask for your share in the property and the property would be equally divided among you, your brother and your father.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles