Is my right affected if property is registered in someone else's name?

We are two brothers, me being the younger one. I took charge of our ancestrol business 16 years back after our father expired. From then, my brother is the sole properitor of the shop and he paid me the salary in books. We both were married.


The problem arises now as we purchase properties. He will register it in his or his wife's name. In future, if there is dividation between us, what will be it's disadvantage to me and what precautions should I take from now as there is no will that our father ever made.




The  pre-requisite condition required for a property to be Ancestral property is that it should be owned by the great grand father followed by the grand father, father & present generation all in this linear arrangement, living & enjoying the property.


The property should not have ever partitioned & share in it distributed to any of the Hindu Coparceners as in any linear generation as mentioned above, in other words, it should be intact single property which is being used jointly by all members of the Hindu Joint family.


Therefore, all property inherited by a male Hindu from his father, father's father, or father's father's father, is an ancestral property.


The query feature of inheritance of ancestral property according to the Mitakshara law under Hindu Succession Act is that man inherits from any of his three immediate paternal ancestors, namely, his father, father's father and father's father's father is ancestral property as regards his male issue, and his son acquires jointly with him an interest in it by birth. Their rights attach to it at the moment of their birth. Also, under the Hindu Succession Act the sons, along with other intestate heirs indicated such as mother and sister in Class I of the Schedule. 


Therefore, if your property falls within such ambit then you are entitled for the share in your Grandfather’s property. 


He cannot sell the shop without the consent of all his legal heir. Please clarify the following:


1. Has he sold the shop and then purchased the property?


2. If he sold the property, did you give consent to the same?


Please provide complete facts.


If the property purchased by him is self acquired then you will not have a share in the property.


Hence, we would have to examine the exact facts and see the documents, then only we will be able to provide you with exact legal solution.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

We are living in our grandfather's property, my parents, me and my wife. My parents were planning to out us from the home but due to our grandfather's…

Read More

Hello sir i am(birth-1960) 56 year old man. My father had died( in 1957) just after 1 year of my birth. Now my 'father's sister'(Buaa, aun…

Read More

Hi, my grandfather(mothers dad) has 4 womens and 1 boy. He had 10 acres of land. Before he deid he transfered his land to his son through MRO office(p…

Read More

My grandparents property belong to both their daughters e.i. my mom and my Masi.we are building a house 3 floors has to be divided between us like one…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue