quesIs grandson eligible for a share in grandmother's property?

I have a house in my grandmothers name, but my uncle somehow managed to transfer the power of attorney in his name. I being the grandson, do I have the power to take my share in that house?


  • ans


    Of course you have a right in your grandmother's property, but under the current scenario you will have to challenge the Power of Attorney that your uncle has managed to get in his name. This would include viewing the powers that are mentioned in the document as well as who all are the witnesses. If the witnesses are not alive, the Power of Attorney can be easily challenged in the court. It can even be quoted that the signatures were forcibly done on the documents.


    Another thing to be kept in mind is whether the GPA has been registered through a Registrar or not. If it has a circular stamp it means it has been passed by a notary and thus might not be valid. If the documents have a triangular stamp it means it has been passed by a Registrar. These details will make a huge difference in the way the POA is challenged.


    Coming to your right in the Property, it certainly exists and you can definitely ask for your share in the same. For this, you need to file a suit for Partition to claim your share in the property.



  • See the video below to know more about this Property legal issue

  • Now get your legal will drafted by experienced and verified lawyers with LawRato's Make My Will service at affordable cost
  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

I m a Sikh, 60 yrs old, living with my wife 55 yrs, mentally retarded…
We are 4 sisters and 2 brothers aged between 35 to 50 years.my father died…
7 years before i purchased a land.But today they are forcing to leave the land.…
I am the only alive son of my father after my mother's death. My father…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly