quesIrreversible contract. What legal implications if we break contract?

How can I ensure that my partner does not break the contact and fulfils his obligations in Business Partnership Agreement for a Construction Project? We had a joint agreement with a builder to buy a land and construct on it. I paid initial amount of 45 Lakhs for the deal while my partner paid 5 Lakhs where the percentage split decided was 60:40.


The contract with the partner as well as the builder was irrevocable. After that my partner clearly stated that he wants to move out of the deal. If we want to cancel the deal with the builder what are the legal implications if we break the contract?


  • ans


    The legal implication of breaking the deal with the builder depends upon the terms of your contract with the builder. Generally any such contracts have termination clause and the amount which shall be paid back in case of termination. In case there is no such clause, then you can claim the amount back from him, however, the builder shall be entitled to deduct the amount he has already spent on the construction.


    You have even stated that the contract is irrevocable, but even then if you can satisfy the court as to the reasons for termination of the contract, then you shall be entitled to the amount you have paid minus the amount already spent by the builder. 


    With respect to your partner, it again depends on the terms of the partnership agreement. In a partnership, both the partners are jointly and severally liable for the liabilities.


    You cannot stop the partner from terminating the contract, however you can claim the percentage share of his liability from him as per the split of 60:40.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

My father expired and all property and land is in father name. Mother want to…
My grandfather and his brother had 1 house.As his brother wanted to build a separate…

My family settled in Ahmedabad for last 50-60 years. My great grandfather ran away from…

i had made the payment through cheque . Now he is not buiding any flat…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly