×

quesIllegal possession of father's residential property

My father was allotted a residential quarter on outright purchase from the management on closure of mines. The property is illegally being possessed by a goon with his family since the past 10 years without any rent or agreement. A complaint with the police did not help us in any way. Instead they asked the goon for money and then to evacuate.

He has now filed a case against my father stating that he is paying rent and has possessed the house showing residential proofs. The court proceedings have taken 7 years without any result. Our lawyer does not coordinate with us but regularly get his fee on demand. What can we do now?

• ansThe litigation process is long drawn and an expensive proposition. The court cases take 15 years and beyond sometimes to be disposed of. If it is possible to arrive at an amicable settlement with the goon then you should go ahead with the settlement. You will end up spending more money on legal fees otherwise.