Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Flat locked by son-in-law & aunt without son's consent, what to do

Our ancestral property in Pune, Legal heirs are My Mother (Widow), My 2 elder sisters and Me.Now My mother's elder sister, my elder sister & her husband have changed our flat lock without our consent and they are asking for the Power Of Attorney in my elder sister's name for the purpose of Flat to be rented and that rent amount to be credited in my elder sister's account. My 2nd elder sister and me denied to sign on POA. so they have changed our flat lock and when we ask for our Flat key my eldest sister is responding that key is with her husband and my aunt (Mother's elder sis). Also without our consent they are disposing household things & when we questioned them they said Mother's permission is sufficient to dispose all household things. Actually my mother, my 2nd elder sis are also unaware.Please advise if we can send legal notice/warning to my aunt & brother-in-law. Or any alternate action that I can take against them please suggest.

Answers (3)

Yes, you can issue a legal notice to your Aunt and brother in law. All the legal heirs has rights and share in the ancestral property. Kindly let me know, which religion you follow as there are different personal laws as per which the shares in the ancestral properties are calculated. For any further clarification and detailed advice kindly book a consultancy call.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

You should do the following:
1. Issue legal notice to them immediately;
2. You should also file an FIR in the police station against them for wrongfully stealing the property from you;
3. If they don't respond then you should file a suit in court of law;

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
21 years Experience
Advocate Prashant Mendiratta
Lajpat Nagar 4, Delhi
25 years Experience
Advocate T Kalaiselvan
Kosapet, Vellore
17 years Experience

Hi. You have stated that the legal heirs are your mother, your sisters and you. So I'm assuming that the property was the self acquired property of your late father. So after the demise of your father, the property will be inherited by his legal heirs. I am not aware what is your personal law. Whether you are subject to Hindu or Muslim personal law. Regardless of that, your aunt and your sister's husband are not legal heirs and thus do not have any right whatsoever in the property. Thus whatever acts done by them as stated in your query are illegal and unauthorized against which you can lodge a police complaint. Further for the flat to be given on rent, consent of all legal heirs will be required and not of your mother alone unless any of your siblings are minor for whom your mother can give consent as a natural guardian. I am presuming that such is not the case in your case. So for meddling with any manner with the flat, the consent and prior permission of all legal heirs will be required for authorising anything to be done by any one legal heir and without a valid consent of other legal heirs in favour of one such legal heir, any act done by that legal heir (in your case your elder sister) will be illegal. Your case is purely a police case and you must take appropriate steps to protect your and your mother's and your siblings rights in the flat. Thanx.

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Fixed Cost Legal Services

Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 3499
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 6999
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 4999
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 9999
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 4999
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 6000
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 7499
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 2499
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 499
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 1999
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 9999
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 19999
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

My father had agricultural land in madhya pradesh. he passed away in 1999. the land was fraudulently registered on my father's elder brother's…

Read More

There is a plot and on the registry three names are written. Two of them are not alive now. Can the third person has the right to sale the land?? In t…

Read More

Sir I want to know that does I have right on my father property we have two brothers?…

Read More

sir mere ma ki achal sampti h jo ki vo mere bete ke name karna chahti h to kis tarike se kar sakti h bina meri bahno ke noc ke…

Read More

Get free assistance for your legal issue