Father refusing to give our share in ancestral property after promise

We have an ancestral property. We are 2 brothers & 3 sisters. My Mother passed away when I was 7 yrs old. I have a Step mother who has a son.

My Father does not allow to us to enter our home when we come back on leave from work (working in navy). Father and step brother took an agricultural loan from me and my real brother which we paid and had a written agreement that in turn we will get a share in the ancestral land.

Now after we have fulfilled all the terms of the agreement, my father refuses to give us our share.

What can we do to get our share of ancestral land?

Answers (1)

152 votes

Assuming you are Hindus,

A pre-requisite condition required for a property to be Ancestral property is that it should be owned by the great grand father followed by grand father, father & present generation all in this linear generation living & enjoying the property. The property should not have ever partitioned & share in it distributed to any of the Hindu Coparceners as in any linear generation as mentioned above, in other words, it should be intact single property which is being used jointly by all members of the Hindu Joint family.

Therefore, all property inherited by a male Hindu from his father, fathers father, or fathers fathers father, is ancestral property.

The essential feature of inheritance of ancestral property according to the Mitakshara law  under Hindu Succession Act is that man inherits from any of his three immediate paternal ancestors, namely, his father, fathers father and fathers fathers father is ancestral property as regards his male issue, and his son acquires jointly with him an interest in it by birth. Their rights attach to it at the moment of their birth. 

Therefore, if your property falls within such ambit then you are  entitled for the share in his Grandfather’s property.

Hence you can file suit for partition thereby demanding your share in the land and further file an application of injunction thereby seeking order for restraining your father to sell the land.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Nikhil Singh
Singh & Associates, Hubli
2 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles