quesDoes staying separately dissolve the right in parents property?

We got married in 2005 and my inlaws accepted me after 6 years. However, my husband used to go to meet his parents and always had a normal relation with them. Recently, my mother in law expired.


My father in law along with the younger son and the elder sister (both married) filed a case in the court for settlement along with some allegations like his elder brother was staying away from them since his marriage ( that is us). He doesn't have the right in his property but they are still ready for a settlement for the house which was in the name of my mother in law.


They stated the value of house very low as compared to market rate. What should we now do?


  • ans


    If your mother-in law died without a will then the property of a Hindu female dying intestate, or without a will, shall devolve upon the sons and daughters and the husband. Therefore, your husband has a legal right on the property irrespective whether he stayed or did not stay with his parents.


    You should not settle for the property at the market rate and we suggest you to file a partition suit thereby demanding your husband's share in the property.


  • Apply For Legal Heir/Succession Certificate With Expert Lawyers
    Know More

    Click here to see all Property Legal Services
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

Dear Sir/ Madam Property was on my mothers name. she has expired with no will…

My parents had died and I'm taking care of my younger brother. My question is…

My father bought a property around 2002/03 in nagpur 2 plots different location both on…
Can the greatgranddaughter claim for equal share at par with her brother's,as it is now…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>