×

quesDoes non-registration of Deed of Transfer affect my title in property?

I bought a flat through a Deed of Transfer in a Registered Co-operative Society in Andheri East. Stamp duty was paid as per the value of the transaction, however, the document was not registered as per legal advise at that time in 2000, stating it was not compulsory. The Sellers sale deed with the builder is duly registered. The society also transferred the Share Certificates to my name. Now, after 15 years, the society is asking for registration details of the transaction. Please advise if the society is right. Does the non-registration affect future transfer of property?

Please provide complete facts of the case, who advised that registration  of sale deed is not compulsory .

It is always necessary to register a sale deed. If the society transferred the Share Certificates to your name and after 15 years they are asking for registration details they are not right.

However we suggest that you should register your agreement or sale deed and duly pay the stamp duty. This will give you title ownership on the property.