Does my sister have any share in our mother's ancestral property?

My elder sister got married 15 years ago, she runs school and her husband is renowned businessman, has lot of property in NCR, hill station and in small towns. I’m doing satisfactory job.

My mother has a property from maternal side, my maternal grandfather & maternal grandmother is no more now it’s been more than 8 years, and my father is no more too. Now plz tell me does my sister has a share in this maternal property?

If yes, then plz let me know how much share. And also if she has the share then how should I proceed so that she can’t claim it in future.

Answers (1)

308 votes

Firstly, it is important to know if your mother has any siblings because as per the rules of Succession under the Hindu Succession Act, your mother and her siblings each shall have equal share in your maternal grandparents property.

Thereafter your siblings and you shall have equal share in your mother's share in case your mother dies intestate.

You and your sister each shall have a equal share in the property. And in case you wish to receive the entire share, you need to get it in writing from your sister that she is ready to transfer her share in your name. In case she wishes to retain her share then it is not possible to stop her from claiming her share.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles