Division of Grandfather's Property

My grandfather had bought a property where we all lived. Now that he is no more, I want to know the process of the property getting divided. Will this property go to the grandson completely or would it be divided between the sons & daughters in the family?

Answers (1)

396 votes
The self acquired property of your grandfather shall devolve upon his legal heirs i.e. wife, sons, daughters each one share. If there is predeceased son/ daughter then the share of such legal heir shall devolve further on his/her legal heirs as per Hindu Succession Act.

If the grandfather dies without a WILL, then after his death the property will vest equally between his wife and children. The grandson cannot claim any right in the property so long as he himself does not qualify to be a legal heir. If the father of grandson is dead then the share of former will further vest to the grandson.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles