Division of Ancestral property.

Our ancestral property in Mumbai suburbs consists of 6 flats in a building. We are 4 brothers and 1 sister in our family. Bro. no.1 is a Jesuit priest. Can he be entitled to a share of the property and its rental income? Bro. no.4 is a Canadian Citizen - can he file a suit against bro. no. 2 and bro. no.3 for partition of the property? There is rental income from 2 leased flats in the building. This is shared ad hoc by sis. + bro. 2. and bro.3. for the past 7 years. Bro. 4. ( Canadian) is in financial need to money. He has filed a suit for partition thru sister & bro. 1. Please Advice.

Answers (1)

332 votes

1) Although religious priests by their how of  poverty give up all worldly wealth, in the eye of the law they do not lose their legal right in the ancestral property. Therefore the answer to your first query is in the affirmative.

2) The stake in the property of the Canadian brother will stand. The right to property is by birth and foreign citizenship fire not disentitle him. Do is the case with the brother who is a Jesuit priest.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles