Dead father's joint account with sister in law. Do i have any right?

In Property Law

I am a legal heir after my father's death in Jan 2013 and have a question to ask about Joint account opened under Either / Survivor mandate in one of the leading Private sector bank.

My father opened this joint account with his daughter-in-law (eldest brother's wife) in 2009 and credited all of his earning in that account, consisting mainly of house rent collected.

My question is regarding the right of legal heirs over such either / survivor accounts. Do legal heirs have the rights to claim this money or to see the account statement, FD etc.?

Answers (1)

145 votes

Expert Legal Advice:

The concept of "either / survivor" is a concept merely for the operation of the bank account, that means that upon the death of the holder of the account, the other person can operate the account.

However, in case of a joint account, the other person / holder of the account has to get a 'No Objection' from the other legal heirs of the deceased. The officials of the bank would also be able to give a better and clear picture on this aspect.

As far the claim on the amount is concerned, then yes, the legal heirs can definately claim their right in the amount deposited by the deceased and moreso, when you can prove that the said amount has his / her own earning either in the form of rent / pension / claim etc.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles