criminal case against builder

I want to file a criminal complaint against a builder. I bought a flat in Unitech Crest View, Gurgaon in 2013 but the builder has cheated me by using poor quality of materials for construction. What are the remedies available to me in this matter? Can I take criminal action against the builder?


If the builder has used poor quality of materials for construction of your flat you are eligible to initiate a criminal action against your builder. You can file a criminal case against the builder under Indian Penal Code, 1860 for breach of contract and delivery of poor quality of construction. You can also file a case for cheating. If the possession of your flat is delayed, you can approach consumer courts on the ground of deficiency in services. 

In many instances, courts have awarded penalties, for example, in the Unitech matter, the court has awarded exemplary compensation like 65 lakhs along with 18% interest as compensation, in the matter of  Jaypee group the developer was penalized with 12% annual penalty with respect to its NOIDA project.

Please, consult a lawyer in such matters. The first step is to send a legal notice covering all the aspects of your matter. This will determine the course of your claim. Consulting an expert lawyer will help you to get possession of your flat along with compensation. 

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I bought a 920sqft flat in Rajarhat, Kolkata, in 2013 and received handover/possession last month after clearing all pending dues (5% to developer and…

Read More

I have sold flat which was co-owned by my mother along with me in Oct-2016 which I took in June 2010. From the amount I took another property within 5…

Read More

Where to approach when you’re an aggrieved homebuyer? RERA or NCDRC?…

Read More

I have an inherited property which has 50% built up area and 50% area has Chawl type construction having one tenant. The Chawl has 3 exit doors and 3 …

Read More