Clarification regarding Stamp duty

We are the landlords and we gave our property for developing. The builder gave us money and a built-up area which is 20% larger area than our old house. The development agreement which was registered says that the builder has to pay the registration and stamp duty if any. He has not given us official possession letters for our new flats. However his advocate through a letter had asked us to take possession of our flats, which we did. All electricity, water and property taxes still come on his name. Does that make us illegal owners of our own flats and do we have to register and pay stamp duty if any for our flats?

Answers (1)

74 votes

I would suggest the following remedy:

1. You must request the builder for the possession letter, otherwise incomplete documents proves your unlawful possession of the flats;

2. You have to request the builder to transfer all the utility bills to your name;

3. Since you dont have the requisite documents, that puts you in jeopardy of losing the flat;

4. If he does not transfer the flat or refuses to transfer your flat in your name, then you can send a legal notice.

5. You can then file a consumer complaint against builder for deficiency of services.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles