Can schools refuse to return confiscated property?

My son's school confiscated his phone. It is a cbse school and brought the phone for working a projector for science fair. As prior permission was not taken they confiscated the phone and refuse to hand it over to even us, the parents. The phone will only be returned when the ward leaves the school and takes TC. Which could be years. Does the school have the right to retain my phone for such long periods?

Check the prospectus, application for admission of your son to see if any such condition exists. If so, the school is well within its rights to retain the confiscated property till such time. It is better to negotiate and arrive at a compromise.

Advocate Nikhil Singh
Singh & Associates, Hubli