quesCan registry of floors be done before they are constructed?

We want to demolish our house and build independent G+3 floors on it. Once the floors are constructed, we will get them registered in independent names. The plot is in my father's name and me and my brother will get a floor each once constructed. I also have a shop which I am exchanging with my brother for his floor.


How do I safeguard my interest as of now, so that my brother is legally bound to get his floor registered in my name post construction and does not deny the deal.


Can the registry of the floors be done before they are constructed? If not, what other options are available to me?


  • ans

    There are two options available to you:


    1. If there are already G+2 floors in the exiting property, then you can enter into a sale deed with your father before the demolition of the house and you can get the 2 floors registered in your name and your brothers name. Thereafter you can enter into a sale deed with your brother for the transfer of his floor in your name. Thereafter you can demolish and reconstruct the property. You can also transfer the shop in his name once the floor is registered in your name.


    2. If there aren't G+2 floors in the property, then you will have to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) or an agreement to sell with future consideration.


    The MOU can contain provisions with respect to the transfer of the ownership of shop being subject to transfer of the title to the floor belonging to your brother. This MOU should be signed in the presence of witnesses and get it registered .


    OR Indian Contract Law recognises three types of consideration: past, present and future. In your case the consideration is in future. So you can enter into a contract with your brother stipulating that he shall be registering/transferring the said property post construction in your name on or before a fixed date in consideration of your shop which you shall be transferring in his name post the registration/transfer of the said floor in your name. By providing such clear terms in your contract, if he does not perform his part of the contract before the date as mentioned in the contract, you can proceed against him for specific performance of the contract.


    No registry of the floors cannot be done before they are constructed.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

My great grand father had a house. After his death he has declared my grand…

My grandfather has transferred part of his property to my mom so as to take…

We have taken Rs.3.5 Lacs as advance to sell our ancestral home for Rs.16 Lacs,…

SC\ST land has acquired by co-operative society without PTCL.? Could you please let us know…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly