×

quescan property sold 20 years ago be claimed by sellers

My maid who is very poor had to sell her property belonging to her husband who had expired at an early age. The property was sold in 1994 by a Legal Sale Deed. Now, after 21 years have elapsed, some people claiming to be the siblings of the deceased have come forward to claim their birth rights. They demand money from the poor women putting her in a very difficult situation. Is there no time limit for claiming a property share according to Indian Law?

• ansIf the property belonged to the deceased husband of your maid then she had every right to sell it. What reason have they mentioned for the delay of 20 long years? Now the only way to recover it is to file a case in the court, where the court will issue a notice to your maid asking her to defend the legal action brought against her. She has ample legal defences in her armour to counter it.