Can i ask share in my father's property? Procedure to disown a son?

Can my father disown me by simply giving an ad in the newspaper or will he have to go to the Court? I am afraid he might ask me to leave his home (in his name only but bought jointly by him and mom) by giving an ad and calling the Police.

Also can I claim my stake in the house if I can prove my mom paid for it also (she passed away a few years ago).

Answers (1)

307 votes

Your father can disown you by publishing the ad in any two national news papers, one in English and another in Hindi or a news paper in any other regional language. He may also file a suit seeking decree that he has broken all ties, including the blood relations and has also debarred you from inheriting all movable and immovable properties. 

However, if the property is a self acquired property of your father, then he can execute a Will in favor of anyone else and may not need to file a suit.

With respect to your second query, if your mother and father were the owner of the property and your mother died without a Will, under such circumstances your father automatically becomes the owner of the property. Therefore, it becomes the self acquired of your father and he can dispose of his property in any manner he desires.

Kindly contact us for any further details and action.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles