Can government make road on my ancestral land against my wish?

The government wants to make a route that goes through my ancestral land. This property of mine has been registered under my name since 1948. As it is an agricultural land, I have also paid tax for the same.


Now the government wants to make a road that passes from this land. I have all the papers, the registry and the receipts for the tax that I have paid for this land. What can I now do?




Under the powers of eminent domain, the Government has to power to acquire any land for development purposes and you can only claim the present value of the land as compensation.


However, with respect to agricultural land:


The Supreme court called for strict interpretation of the provisions of the Land Acquisition Act 1894 that stipulates that good agricultural land -- “any land which, considering the level of agricultural production and crop pattern in the area in which it is situated, is of average productivity and includes garden or grove land” it said -- cannot be acquired for the setting up of factories or any other corporate enterprise.


The Bench said: “When the State intends to proceed with the acquisition of land, it must form an opinion that lands which are going to be acquired are not good agricultural lands. The rules, by and large, lay down a statutory policy and the question of ignoring it by the State does not arise.”


Where the land proposed to be acquired is agricultural land, the court put the onus on the collector to consult the senior agricultural officer of the district to ascertain whether it is “good agricultural land” or not. After doing this, the collector has also to ascertain the approximate amount of compensation likely to be paid for the land, and also whether the company offered a reasonable price, the court said.


Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

Hi I am a resident of Kolkata west Bengal, this issue is regarding my ancestral property, my grandfather had built the house for his wife and children…

Read More

Sir mere dada k father k naam ek plot hai wo btware mein hmare pas aaya hua hai..bnaya b hmne h use uska sb kuch hmne kiya hai or usko hmare pas 25 sa…

Read More

My mothers aged 60 & her grandfather ( paternal) was five brothers. they got divided in 70s. all of them have died. two years back her father aged…

Read More

My grandmother transferred her property and bank accounts to my brother by her will,can I claim my share in her granddaughter has any righ…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue