Can father in law dispose his share as per his wish? After division.

My husband's father is making 3 shares of his ancestral property and giving 1 each to my husband and his brother, and keeping 1 share with himself. He says that for the share that he is keeping with himself, he will not make my husband or his brother the nominee, and is free to dispose it off at his will. Can he do so?

We are ok if he enjoys his share while he is alive but after that it must go to my husband and his brother. What should we do?

Answers (1)

138 votes

With respect to ancestral or Hindu coparcenary property, once a division of the property takes place, the share or portion which each Coparcenar gets after the division becomes his or her self acquired property. 

Now as you have stated your husband’s father is dividing the property, so thereafter the property becomes self-acquired with respect to each coparcener and therefore he is at freedom to dispose off the same as per his will.

Kindly contact us for any further details and action.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles