quesCan father give inherited property only to 1 child? How to avoid it?

Can my parents give their property to only one of their child or should it be divided equally among all the children? They have their own acquired property as well as property inherited by my father as a single heir.


For the inherited property, can he dispose it off at his will or does it automatically get divided between all his legal heirs? If not, how to get the share in the inherited property?


  • ans


    With respect to self-acquired property, your parents can dispose off the property as per their wish. They are entitled to create a will and the devolution shall be as per the Will. However, in case there is no will, then it shall devolve as per the Hindu Succession Act and you shall be entitled to the share as per the Act.


    With respect to the property inherited by your father, it is essential as to whether the said property is ancestral or coparcenary because only then you have a right since birth, if the property was no ancestral or coparcenary and devolved on you father in his individual capacity then you cannot claim a share in it as it becomes self acquired property in the hands of your father and he can dispose it off as per his wishes.


    If it is ancestral or coparcenary then you can file a suit for partition of the property and get your share.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

My father has sold 1 Katha out of 3.4 Katha Without consent of brothers son…

Hello. My grandfather were two brothers, my grandfather has only son my father, and other…
1. An aged couple dies (intestate) leaving behind 1 married son & 1 married daughter…
Is it possible to use agriculture land for providing/promoting education or sports activity?

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly