Can father give grandfather's property to his brother? What our share?

My grandfather gifted a self-acquired property to my father during his life time.

My father passed away recently and is survived by 2 children. In his will my father has gifted the said property to his brother.

Don’t his children have a right to raise objection? Is it ancestral property?

Answers (1)

186 votes

As we understand your situation,

 A gift from your grandfather to your father is not part of ancestral property as your father did not inherit the property on the death of your grandfather or receive it by partition made by your grandfather during his lifetime.

 You do not have any legal right on such property because your grandfather chose to bestow a favor on your father which he could have bestowed on any other person as well.

Thus, the interest which your father takes in such property depends upon the will of the grantor i.e. your grandfather.

 When the son gets property from his father as a gift, his sons or daughter cannot claim part in it calling it ancestral property. Your father can alienate the gifted property to anyone he likes and in any way he likes. Such a property is treated as self-acquired property, provided there is no expressed intention in the deed of the gift by your grandfather while gifting the property to your father.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles