Can developer increase rate arbitrarily at last minute w/o notifying?

After investing and making the full payment of an apartment, the prices were increased arbitrarily without any intimation at the last moment. I am a senior citizen and I bought an apartment in Kundli Sonipat.

The developers increased the prices last minute. In spite of several emails and letters, they did not respond. What can we do now?

Answers (1)

304 votes

We would be in a better position to guide you if we could view your agreement with the Builder and the letter by the way of which the builder has increased the amount.

However, the option available to you is to file a consumer complaint against the builder for unilateral increase in the price of the apartment without any justification. 

In case there is no clause, with respect to price escalation, then you can highlight the fact that the increase is in violation of the Agreement as no such clause exists in the Agreement which allows the builder to increase the price of the apartment unilaterally.

There have been a number of judgments by the Consumer Courts which have dealt with this aspect and the increase in the price has only been allowed where the Builder has been able to justify the increase in the prices.

Kindly contact us for any further details and action.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles