Can brothers divide father's property w/o married sister's consent?

Can brothers divide father’s property who died intestate without getting consent of the married sister (that is me)?

Am entitled to any share in my father’s property and under which law?

Answers (1)

164 votes

As you stated that your father died intestate i.e. without making any Will, then you have equal right in the property as compared to your brothers and they cannot divide the property and keep it for themselves.

As per the Indian succession act,

A daughter has equal right in her father’s property as compared to the brothers.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles