Can brothers Claim share in another brother's property

Dear Sir, My father died in year 1998. We have 3 brothers, 1 sister & Mother. My Father had some Cash certificates & money in different bank accounts. We apply for Succession Certificate, in respect of the debts & Securities left behind by the deceased Father. Each one of us get there Share as per court of law. I deposit my Share in the Bank to get interest, and there was some more cash certificates in my in the Bank. In the year 2006, I withdraw all my cash certificates and buy a Land which is in my name. Now in 2018, we are going to divide the property of our deceased Father Which is Land in different places and House. Now my brothers claim that the Land you buy in 2006, which is in my name, we have a share in that land. Sir I want to know can my brothers claim in that Land which I buy in the year 2006 & and it’s registration is in my name. Thank you

Answers (2)

146 votes

As per law he can't get the share in your self acquired property. But you have to prove that this land is purchased by you with your own assets and the father money is equally divided in shares so that money is your share only. For safer side you must file caveat in court so that your brother doesn't get stay on your land.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

57 votes

Read your query and my answer to you is, after the death of your father you and your brothers got their shares and from your share you purchased a land, now they are claiming right in your property which they cannot because it is your self acquired property and they legally have no right over it.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles