Can basement of residential property be used as godown for business

I have a residential property in kotla Mubarakpur. Can I use the basement and some part on ground floor for godown purpose for my business of mineral water,soft drinks,beverages,etc. Do I have to pay conversion charges and what are Other taxes need to b paid.

Answers (2)

145 votes

-According to the regulations of the National Building Code or building by-laws, a basement can be used only as a storage, dark room, bank cellar, parking space or to keep equipment requiring constant air conditioning. According to the building bylaws, kitchen, bathroom and toilet are also not allowed in a basement, unless the sewer levels permit the same and there is no chance of back flow and flooding of the sewerage.
- The Ground Floor can be used for any purpose, such as commercial or residential.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

254 votes

No you cannot use basement of a residential property for godown purpose. Ground floor also cannot be used. If it is a mix land property only than you can use it. If you will use a residential property for commercial purposes it can be sealed.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles