Can a lady claim for the property after 13 years of death of a person?

my father had a brother who expired on 15 years back in 2000. my grandfather also died. so the property got transferred to my fathers name. now in 2013 one lady with a kid comes up and says that she is my Uncle's wife. but my uncle never married. now what options do we have to safeguard our property

Answers (2)

218 votes

When did she come ? To whom she met ? Where was ur uncle staying ? Has she shown any proof of her marriage ? Have u applied for Succession Certificate ? What is the status of your property as on today ?

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

303 votes

If that lady has suggested documents which prove that she is the legally wedded wife then she can go to the court.However we suggest you to wait for her to take a legal action so that the onus is on her to prove.Also if you have done proper property transfer ie by putting the transfer of property on the news paper and other procedure then the chances are bleak on her getting the share in the property.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles