Brother pushed mother out of dead father's house. What can she do now?

My brother has forcibly pushed out my mother and locked the house that was bought by my father. After he died, my mother was staying there and wanted to sell the house. The house is still in my father's name and he died without a Will. We are 3 brothers and 2 sisters.


What should me mother do now that she does not have a home and wants to sell that home and use the money for her future needs.




As the house is in your father's name and he has died intestate (without a will), you need to file a suit for partition and permanent and mandatory injunction. 


Assuming you are Hindus, Section 8 of the Hindu Succession Act stipulates that the property of a male hindu dying intestate shall be divided equally among the Class I heirs and hence, the property shall be divided into 6 equal shares (1 widow + 3 brothers + 2 sisters). 


Thereafter the partition decree shall be passed by the Court and the proceeds after selling the house shall be divided equally.


In case the Court comes to a conclusion that it is impossible to partition the property in Six Equal parts, i.e. by metes and bounds, the Court will order sale of the property and divide the sale money equally among all.


You can get a protection order for your mother under Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act 2007 whereby she shall be protected from ouster from her own house and if thrown out, your brother can be compelled to take your mother back to her house and maintain her as well.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

We have a small house bought by my father 6 decades back. We are 3 brothers. And my parents are no more now. Due to some family dispute we decided to …

Read More

I want to buy a plot which is registered on younger brothers name, he is married and Hindu, have three brothers and one sister and mother is alive, my…

Read More

My question is my big brother died and leaving his property on his name only [as he remained single till died], we are 7 siblings[with big brother] no…

Read More

Can we claim property from brother after giving NOC As my brother is constructing the house by giving to the builder. The property has also have legal…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue