Advise on ancestral property

My father does not want to give any share in my grandfather's property and want to give the entire share to my younger brother. He is stating that what ever was my share has been sold during my education and there is nothing left. Can I claim the remaining share of my property? What is the steps involved in it? Please suggest.

Answers (3)

147 votes

Any person can give any property to any one, if it is self acquired. But in case of ancestral property he can't deprive any heir. As regards your education expenses, it was your father's responsibility and duty. If
You will have to approach civil court

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

110 votes

You have a good case and a partition suit is to be file in the court claiming your share in the ancestral property. Your father's verbal or even written denial cannot invalidate your right to property.

Raghvendra Singh Raghuvanshi
Advocate- Indore

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
94 votes

You can file a partition suit in the Civil Court to let the Civil Court decide what actually your share shoud be out of the ancestral prperty. The property/money spent in your education will be deemed to be spent from your father's self-acquired property, because right from your childhood when you started schooling, your father was the peroson who had duty to spend money on your maintenance/education. He has no right to spend money for your education/maintenance out of the ancestral property. Just file a partition suit in the Civil Court!

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles