Structural damage of my rented house due to negligence of landlord

Hi. My rented apartments ceiling collapsed while i was in it. Massive chunks of cement and beams collapsed on my bed and around. I am very lucky as i had gotten out of my bed 10 minutes before the incident. I narrowly escaped as i jumped away when it started to collapse. I am not hurt but i have had to evacuate in an emergency as this house is not safe. This incident has happened due to landlords negligence of multiple BMC and society notices about structural problem with his premises. I was not aware of any of this. I have been paying a very heavy rent in this house for 3 years now. I am now homeless and in slight trauma. I have to write my landlord a notice and produce it at the apartment society. What claim am i entitled to and what are my rights in this case?

Answers (1)

151 votes

A landlord is under an implied duty in law to make sure that any property they let is fit to be lived in and to repair the property when necessary. They are also under the same duty in contract.

Your tenancy agreement may say that the landlord has to repair more than just the structure or exterior, for example, fixtures and fittings and furniture. Therefore read your tenancy agreement carefully.

You can do the following:
1. Send him a personal letter asking him to comply with his liabilities and improve the structure of the flat;

2. You should first tell the local authority of your intention and also write to the environmental health officer i.e. the Municipal officer to give them an opportunity to inspect and say what works need to be carried out;

3. You can send a legal notice to your landlord regarding the same;

4. You can also approach the court as a method of last resort.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."