Structural damage of my rented house due to negligence of landlord

Hi. My rented apartments ceiling collapsed while i was in it. Massive chunks of cement and beams collapsed on my bed and around. I am very lucky as i had gotten out of my bed 10 minutes before the incident. I narrowly escaped as i jumped away when it started to collapse. I am not hurt but i have had to evacuate in an emergency as this house is not safe. This incident has happened due to landlords negligence of multiple BMC and society notices about structural problem with his premises. I was not aware of any of this. I have been paying a very heavy rent in this house for 3 years now. I am now homeless and in slight trauma. I have to write my landlord a notice and produce it at the apartment society. What claim am i entitled to and what are my rights in this case?

A landlord is under an implied duty in law to make sure that any property they let is fit to be lived in and to repair the property when necessary. They are also under the same duty in contract.

Your tenancy agreement may say that the landlord has to repair more than just the structure or exterior, for example, fixtures and fittings and furniture. Therefore read your tenancy agreement carefully.

You can do the following:
1. Send him a personal letter asking him to comply with his liabilities and improve the structure of the flat;

2. You should first tell the local authority of your intention and also write to the environmental health officer i.e. the Municipal officer to give them an opportunity to inspect and say what works need to be carried out;

3. You can send a legal notice to your landlord regarding the same;

4. You can also approach the court as a method of last resort.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers