Security deposit refund by me if lease agreement in husband's name

Me n my husband stayed in a rented house. Agreement was in his name and security deposit was paid by mortgaging my gold. Now be are living separated. My husband has vanished from that rented house with my belongings(cupboard, washing machine etc) and I don't know the location of his new home. He is claiming the security deposit refund from the landlady of the house we had rented. Do I have any right to claim the deposit

Answers (2)

210 votes

Firstly, you have to file police complaint that your husband has cheated you and went away by taking your valuables.
Secondly, if you know that he want to claim security deposit, tell your landlady not to give it to him or else inform you/police for necessary action. And if she informs you, inform police immediately. But, first file police complaint and also give them list of your missing articles/valuables.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

348 votes

It seems that the deposit receipts is in name of your husband. As per your contention you have contributed some amount towards such a deposit. This is inter se arrangement between you and your husband for which there is a no any proof. Therefore the landlord is duty bound to repay the amount of deposit in favor of person whose name is reflected in deposit receipt. But you can continue the tenancy unless landlord initiate necessary action for eviction.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."