Rights of a Tenant who uses a property for more than 35 years

I have been living in a rented shop for more than 30-35 years. My family's bread runs from this shop .My landlord has troubled a lot of times to throw us out of the house. He doesn't live there infact lives in a posh bunglow and also have soo many property and petrol pumps. My shop leaks in monsoons and the landlord doesn't allow us to change the roof nor he doesnt allow to do any changes which will benefit us. he does not give rent slip in starting.i have also installed water & electricity connection.We have taken a legal action against him and every time the decision is from our side. Our landlord wants to build a building on our shop and so wants to throw us out.we do not have status that we will fight against him.he did not even rent for 6 month.we had moneyorder but he also gave it back.now we speak to emty the shop.wht should i do next?my family's bread runs from this shop.

Answers (2)

255 votes

As far as the legal position is concerned the tenant has no right to dictate the need of the landlord to get the property vacated. Its the pure discretion of the landlord to seek for eviction of property in relation of his need. You have no other option then to seek time from him to vacate the premises. Secondly if he files a suit of eviction. You can request the Court to grant 2-3 years time to vacate the premises. That is the only remedy available to you.
Even if you contested the case your chances of winning the case are not much.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

277 votes

In law the Landlord can tell you to vacate the property even if he has many houses and it does not matter for how many years you have been living in it. You state that you took legal action and it was decided in your favour. Until I see those legal documents/orders, I cannot advise you.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."