procedure to Paying rent in court.

I live in Mumbai on rent last 25 years (pagadi system). Since last 4-5 years my landlord is not taking rent and refusing to provide rent receipt. To be safe I want to pay rent in court, can someone please advice proper procedure to do so... Thanks!!!!

Answers (1)

258 votes

If your landlord does not accept the rent, you can deposit the rent to the rent commission favouring your landlord. By doing this, you are ensuring that your landlord cannot evict you on grounds of non-payment of rent.

Further, you should also keep in mind that the Supreme Court has ruled that if a landlord refuses to accept the rent, the tenant has to mandatorily deposit it with the Rent Controller (court) as otherwise the latter would be liable for eviction.

Interpreting Section 27 of the Delhi Rent Control Act, the apex court said it was mandatory for a tenant to deposit the rent or rental arrears whenever the landlord, who is not in good terms, refuses to accept the rent. In other words, the tenant cannot merely avoid paying the rent by saying the landlord had refused to accept the same.

File an application  before the Rent Controller seeking permission to deposit the rent in view of the refusal by your landlord to accept the same. Further, you can make an application for depositing rent in the court, and the same shall be decided after reply is filed by the other side.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."