Owner of house unknown for years can house be redeveloped by tenants

I am living with my family (Hindu) in a property from 1993. My father's birthplace is the same property in 1966. Also my grandfather (expired) was living in the same property from before 1950. No-one from our family have paid any rent from a long time because the owner has not shown up from past 30 40 years. The electricity and the water bills are on my grandfather's (expired) name. We have started paying the property tax from last 3 years or so only after the mandatory law by local government. The house condition is not good now but livable. I have consulted from Municipal Corporation about the ownership which says "Mithan Lal" as the owner in the documents. Keeping all the things in mind, Please advise about the ownership because none of the owners are known to us. We don't even know about their existence. Also please let us know if we can start construction on the same property by demolishing the current building. I will be very thankful to you.

Answers (1)

162 votes

You can claim adverse possession over the said property as 12 years have been passed, Also, you can file a declaration suit in the civil court or you can demolish the building and start construction for building the house.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."