Legal remedy for recovery security deposit from land lord

We are vacating the apartment in Feb end we have been living since 3 years. Now the owner is being reluctant in returning the security deposit. We are not sure how much will he return, but he is asking for certain things to be fixed which were there even initially (and agreed upon verbally). My questions are: 1. As I doubt that owner has good intentions (which were also demonstrated in the past), what can we as tenants do in case owner deducts an unreasonable amount? 2. Do we need to pay the last month rent or can that be adjusted against the security deposit legally.

Answers (1)

281 votes

1. You must refer carefully to the tenancy agreement.
As the tenancy agreement should contain a clause highlighting the amount of the security deposit that can be deducted if you want to terminate the agreement before completing the term of the agreement. The balance security deposit amount must be returned.
Additionally, there must be a clause highlighting the obligations of the tenant, specifically if there are certain things they must do when returning possession of the property. If the request of the owner is not a part of these obligations, you are not required to fulfill such a desire.

In the event that the owner deducts an excessive amount, you would have to file a suit for recovery.

2. Rent can be deducted from the security deposit, if the tenant does not pay the same. However, it is recommended that the tenant should avoid this situation. As it can be adversely interpreted if the matter goes before a court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."