Landlord not wiling to return security deposit, What action possible?

What legal steps can I take against my landlord who is not willing to give the security deposit back if I am not willing to shift to his house? I took a flat on rent and was about to shift but due to unforeseen reasons I had to change the plan. I had paid the rent for a month in advance. There was no written agreement.

Now that I demand my advance back, the landlord has deducted almost half the amount and is giving me the rest back. He said that half of the amount was used for renovation purposes.

What can I now do?

Answers (1)

66 votes

Firstly, send him a legal notice demanding payment of security deposit back within 15 days. And if the payment is not made within 15 days, then you can file a recovery suit for recovery of the amount of the entire security deposit. However, you shall have to adducing evidence to show the existence of the debt. 

As you do not have a written agreement to prove that you had paid the security deposit, try and adduce circumstantial evidence to show that you had paid the security deposit. You can prove the fact that security was given by Oral evidence as well. 

You can also register a criminal complaint against him in the nearest Police Station for the offence of cheating under Section 420 and for criminal breach of trust under Section 406 of the Indian Penal Code.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
34 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
25 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."