Landlord asking to vacate premises immediately without giving notice

I am a tenant and the landlord is asking us to vacate the premises immediately. The rent agreement has a provision of 2 months notice for vacation but the landlord came with 4 men and asked us to vacate the house immediately. The lease is also not over yet.

He has now also cut the water connection to harass us. What action can we take against him?


The facts stated abovethat the landlord is doing a forceful eviction. If as per the rent agreement, owner is required to give two months notice, then legally he cannot ask you to vacate the premises.Till the time your owner does not give you a written communication, you can choose to stay in the house till that time. Further, we suggest you to approach the nearest police station and lodge a compliant therein clearly mentioning that the owner hired 4 goons(men) and forcefully tried to take possession of the property.

It also important to mention that tenancy rules differ state wise,a ssuming your property is situated in Delhi, you will be governed by Delhi Rent Control Act. 1) If the landlord refuses to accept rent, the you must issue a notice to the landlord asking him to provide a bank account number where the rental fee can be credited. The notice period for provision of this information should be less than 10 days. This notice must clearly state the option being exercised by the tenant and that the tenant is unable to contact the landlord for payment of rent. This letter must be sent to the landlord through a registered post with acknowledgment due.

If the landlord provide the bank account number, then you should deposit the rent in the said bank account. However, if the landlord does not respond to the notice, then you should proceed to the second step. Further you  must send the rental amount to the landlord through money order. As a you should also retain the money order receipt/coupon as evidence in case of further problems. If the landlord accepts the money order, then future payments of rental receipts can be made through money orders. However, do note that the money order commission can be deducted from rental amount according to law.

However, if the property owner refuses to accept or acknowledge the receipt of money order, then you must file a case in the civil court under Section 27 of Delhi Rent Control Act  and obtain court's approval for submitting further rents into the court.

However, do note that you should follow all these steps perfectly without any delays between any of the above mentioned steps. Any deviation could lead to problems for you in case the landlord files a case for eviction on grounds of non-payment of rent.

Another way by which landlords evict tenants is by cutting off the electricity and water supplies within the premises. This often puts the tenant in a highly unenviable position. In such cases, you can approach the civil court with an appeal to restore the cancelled amenities. The landlord will have to comply with the court order

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Registration of Lease Agreement

4.4 | 102 ratings
Registration of lease agreement through a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Refund of Security

4.8 | 389 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Document Review - Lease Agreement Residential Property

4.6 | 132 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Residential Lease review by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Tenant Eviction

4.6 | 361 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Document Review - Lease Agreement Commercial Property

4.4 | 152 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Commercial Lease review by a local experienced advocate
15 Minutes Landlord / Tenant Advice Session by Phone

4.7 | 498 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your landlord / tenant issue
Lease Agreement Drafting - Commercial Property

4.7 | 188 ratings
30 Min Into call + Start to finish help - Commercial Lease agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Lease - Residential Property

4.8 | 271 ratings
Residential Lease agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

Can I cut electric connection? How can I vacant my room from this bad tenant? There was not any agriment on 40years before. pls. Help me.…

Read More

We are living amicably since 2012 in the rented flat B202 of the housing society named Chheda Heights in Bhandup West, Mumbai. Now we are asked to vac…

Read More

namaste sir,my problem is i gave my flat for rent on monthly tenancy .she occupied in month of August last year .she gave rent of August and September…

Read More

Hello, My tenant has given me a verbal notice yesterday and wants to vacate the place end of this month but as per our agreement there is a locking pe…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue