If building collapses the who is liable for loss of tenant?

Sir, If something goes wrong and if building collapse, are we responsible for that ? As rent are nominal Rs 100 per month we cannot able to repair and now it is beyond repairable condition. Please suggest course of action. Thanking you. Your sincerely

Answers (1)

262 votes

To be held responsible for an injury on the premises, the landlord or property manager must have been negligent in maintaining the property, and that negligence must have caused the injury. All of the following must be proven for a landlord to be held liable:
It was the landlord's responsibility to maintain the portion of premises that caused the accident.
Excerpted From Every Landlord's Legal Guide

For details on landlord liability for tenant injuries and advice on property insurance,
Buy the book »
The landlord failed to take reasonable steps to avert the accident.
Fixing the problem (or at least giving adequate warnings) would not have been unreasonably expensive or difficult.
A serious injury was the probable consequence of not fixing the problem (the accident was foreseeable).
The landlord's failure -- his negligence -- caused the tenant's accident.
The tenant was genuinely hurt.
A tenant can file a personal injury lawsuit or claim against the landlord's insurance company for medical bills, lost earnings, pain and other physical suffering, permanent physical disability and disfigurement, and emotional distress. A tenant can also sue for damage to personal property, such as a stereo or car, that results from faulty maintenance or unsafe conditions.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."