Disputed Premises divided into 2 portions & have 2 lease agreements

Premises is in dispute with landlord and is occupied by two brothers who are not on talking terms. Can premises be divided into in two separate rooms portions and separate two lease agreements can be made based on Court Order.

Answers (1)

257 votes

Hi. Can you kindly elaborate on the dispute with the landlord? Is any court case pending? The premises can be divided into separate portions provided the landlord consents for the same. Further permission will also be required to be taken from the Municipal Corporation since creating two separate and independent portions from a single tenanted premises will be considered as creation of new tenancy. So unless BMC gives the permission and assesses the separated portions as two independent units for property tax purpose, the premises will remain a single unit for all purposes. Once BMC approves then the two separated portions will appear as independent units in the BMC inspection extract. So you can obviously divide the premises physically into two units (without making any structural changes to the premises) but it will get legal status of two independent units only if landlord gives his NOC and BMC sanctions the separation. If these two are in place, even the Court will have no problem in ordering two separate documents to be executed for the separated portions, provided ofcourse the dispute with your landlord is resolved. Kindly call for further clarification. Thanks.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."