Legal action against my employer for not paying salary

I have been working with an MNC for two years, as a software engineer. For the past three months, I have not been receiving my monthly salary. I have tried contacting the HR department through emails but have not received any reply for the same. Is there any legal action that I can take against the company so as to get my salary?


If your employer is not paying your salary even after repeated reminders, it is a clear indication that they do not intent to pay you. Thus, it is best to claim the same through the legal procedure. Before going in for the legal procedure, assure that you have the required documents in terms of offer letter, salary slip etc in order to prove your case. The legal procedure is as follows:
  • Serve a legal notice to your employer for release of your salary and all the arrears. It is advisable to consult a well experienced lawyer for the same.
  • If even after the receiving the legal notice, your employer does not release the salary and arrears, then you can file a petition for recovery before the labour court (if your post is below the level of supervisory or managerial) but if your post is supervisory or managerial or upwards, then you should file the petition before the competent civil court.

In most cases after issuance of a legal notice, the company comes down to a mutual settlement outside the court itself. If not, you can always proceed further with the legal procedures, with the advice of your lawyer, in order to claim your rightful salary.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I was working in software company and I had resigned from my job on 18th October 2016 .It has been 3 months but still I haven't got my full and fi…

Read More

Working for a private company, unknowingly i have signed a contract of 3 years. Now i want to relieve, company asking for 3lac Rs. As compensation. Th…

Read More

What will next step if hr manager is not given the salary and appointmen letter. What's will be next action on hr manager if he foreced me his com…

Read More

Previously I employed in COKEOVEN Deptt. at Durgapur Steel Plant. BY an internal circular willing employee was called for MSM (Medium Structure Mill) …

Read More