Can grandson get pension of grandparents if his father has expired

01-May-2023 (In Labour & Service Law)
Hi, wanted advice on Whether toddler grandson claim to get grand father or grandmother pension if his father expired. The daughter in law is dependent on her in laws pension since his husband expired and needs maintenance for her son.
Answers (1)

Answer #1
855 votes
If his father died before taking anything from his grandfather's pension, his grandfather's beneficiaries will usually be paid a tax-free lump sum as pension. Therefore the toddler is entitled to the pension. You should make an application which issues the pension benefits to this toddler. The daughter-in-law can give her NOC from this pension claim of the grandfather.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

Santosh Kumar
Dada ke marne ke bad poti ko pension mil sakti hai ki nahin

Reply by LawRato
The answer to your question may depend on the specific rules and regulations of the pension scheme that your grandparents were enrolled in. Different pension schemes may have different eligibility criteria and conditions for the payment of pension benefits to the dependents of deceased pensioners. Therefore, it is advisable to contact the pension provider or authority and inquire about the details of your grandparents’ pension scheme and the possibility of claiming it as their grandson. In most cases, a grandson cannot get a pension of his grandparents if they have expired, unless he was legally adopted by them or was financially dependent on them at the time of their death. This is because most pension schemes only pay benefits to the spouse, civil partner, or children of the deceased pensioner, and not to other relatives.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."