Women’s Right to Inherit Property

हिंदी में पढ़ें
October 10, 2019
By Advocate Chikirsha Mohanty

Inheritable property in India was initially granted only to the son in a Hindu family. With the recent amendments, the right to inherit property has now been granted to the women as well. However, according to a rule passed by the Supreme Court, a woman cannot claim right in the inheritable property that was left behind by her father before 2005. This means that if the father had passed away before 2005, the daughter cannot claim an equal share in the inheritable property.

Connect with an expert lawyer for your legal issue

Are there any specific rules that apply only to properties left behind by women?

A property left behind by a woman should be divided equally among her children and her husband. If a child had already passed away, then that child's share would be divided between his children. If there is no spouse, child or grandchild alive then the property would be divided between her parents. If her parents have also passed away then the property would be divided between the heirs of her parents.

Widow’s right in her husband’s property

Section 10 in The Hindu Succession Act, 1956 talks about the distribution of the property in situation where a husband dies intestate and says that distribution of property shall take place among the heirs in class I of the Schedule wherein the Rule 1 specifically states that the intestate’s widow, or if there are more widows than one, all the widows together shall take one share.

For instance, if a husband dies intestate and is survived by two widows and a son, heirs in Class I shall take the property simultaneously and to the exclusion of all others. Here according to the provisions of Rule 1 of section 10, both the widows of the husband shall take one-half share in the property of the husband and the other half shall go to his son.

Consult: Top Property Lawyers in India

In situations where a husband dies intestate leaving two widows and no sons, both of them shall inherit the property equally, i.e. both of them shall be entitled to one-half share, there being no other Class I heir.

A remarried widow can keep the share of her dead husband’s property. In 2008, the Supreme Court of India decided that a widow who remarries cannot be deprived of a share in her dead husband’s property as according to it the widow becomes an absolute owner of the deceased husband’s riches to the extent that her share under the provisions of the Hindu Succession Act 1956 would prevail over the earlier Hindu Widow’s Remarriage Act 1856.

The Supreme Court of India did not concur with the provisions of the Hindu Widow’s Remarriage Act 1856 which says that all rights and interests which any widow may have in her deceased husband’s property by way of maintenance, or by inheritance, shall cease upon her re-marriage and set it aside.

Connect with an expert lawyer for your legal issue

The Supreme Court, in its decision, observed that the Hindu Succession amendment Act has brought about a huge change in Shastric Hindu law and made Hindu widows eligible and equal in the matter of inheritance and succession along with male heirs.

The Apex court held that section 4 of Hindu Marriage Act would have overriding effect over the text of any Hindu law including the Hindu Widow’s Remarriage Act.


These guides are not legal advice, nor a substitute for a lawyer
These articles are provided freely as general guides. While we do our best to make sure these guides are helpful, we do not give any guarantee that they are accurate or appropriate to your situation, or take any responsibility for any loss their use might cause you. Do not rely on information provided here without seeking experienced legal advice first. If in doubt, please always consult a lawyer.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka , Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16 , Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala , Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1 , Delhi
17 years Experience

Related Articles

Connect with top Property lawyers for your specific issue

Property Law Articles

Daughter has right over Parental Property even if Father died before Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act 2005

Right to Fair Compensation in Land Acquisition

Property Partition Laws in India

How to send a Property Partition Legal Notice?

User Reviews

4.7 - 15 reviews

very good article. Please provide more information on the subject

Diya on Aug 24, 2020

needed a lawyer….what is the procedure?

Prakash on Sep 17, 2020

very informative.

Anjali on Sep 05, 2020

good legal subject

Pratibha on Aug 11, 2020

I have legal query. Who can I call?

Sridhar on Sep 11, 2020

Helped a lot in understanding the law.

Mandeep on Sep 15, 2020

thanks for the legal advice

Anu on Sep 17, 2020

good article. Can you give some more detail on the issue.

Sagar on Aug 15, 2020

loved the way concept is explained. Nicely written for any layman to understand.

Vidya on Sep 14, 2020

Nice one.

Anupam on Sep 06, 2020

needed legal advice…who to call

Sandhya on Sep 05, 2020

good work

Ahmed on Aug 27, 2020

Very good work with the article. Gave a nice clarity about the subject.

Rupesh on Sep 21, 2020

good work

Mayank on Sep 05, 2020

thank you for the information

Saravanan on Sep 19, 2020