Can grandson claim rights in grandfather's property?

January 23, 2024 हिंदी में पढ़ें

A grandson's property rights from his grandfather hinge on the type of property and its handling. This can be categorized as ancestral property, self-acquired property, or property with a specific will.

What are the property rights?

Property rights encompass the concept of who owns resources and how they can use them, both in theory and under the law. Resources can be things you can touch or ideas you cannot, and they can belong to people, companies, or governments. Private property rights or the rights of private persons to accumulate, hold, delegate, rent, or sell their property are exercised by individuals in varies countries, including the United States. In economics, property rights are the foundation of all market transactions. How a society assigns these rights directly impacts how efficiently resources are utilized.

Talk to a Lawyer

Understanding Property Rights

Property is safeguarded by well-defined laws sustained by the government. These laws establish ownership rights and the perks tied to owning property. While the concept of property covers a wide range, legal protections can differ depending on the location. Property ownership is typically held by individuals or small groups. Patents and copyrights can be used to extend rights for the protection of:

  • Limited available resources like houses, cars, books, and cellphones
  • Animals or other non-human creatures like dogs, cats, fish, and insects
  • Intellectual property (IP) like inventions, ideas, or words.

Other properties, like communal or government-owned assets, belongs to specific groups and is considered public. It is maintained by individuals in positions of authority, be it political or cultural leaders. Property rights grant the rightful owner the authority to exercise full control over his/ her property. This encompasses the freedom to retain ownership, engage in profitable sales or rentals, and transfer the property to another party as desired.

Laws governing ancestral properties

Property division for different religious communities in India is regulated by distinct legal frameworks. The Hindu Succession Act of 1956 governs the division of ancestral property among Hindus, Sikhs, Jains, and Buddhists. However, for Christians, the Indian Succession Act of 1925 sets the rules for property distribution. Muslims, on the other hand, follow the provisions outlined in the Muslim Personal Law (Shariat) Application Act of 1937 for property division matters. In inheritance and succession practices within Christians provides equal rights to both, men and women. Additionally, any property owned by an individual is considered their self-acquired asset, regardless of how it was obtained. No one else can lay claim to this property during the owner's lifetime. In Muslim law, there are two types of heirs: sharers and residuary heirs. The sharers have a predetermined right to a specific portion of the deceased person's property. Whereas residuary heirs inherit what's left of the property after the sharers have received their entitled shares.

Grandson's Rights in Grandfather's Property

Whether the grandson will have a right in the property of his grandfather or not, depends upon the applicable inheritance law. It is important to note that in India, there is no uniform law of inheritance in India. Succession and Inheritance are subject to various personal laws, depending upon the religion. Grandson's rights in his grandfather's property is also dependent upon the kind of property and how it is dealt with i.e. whether self-acquired, ancestral, or if there is a Will made for a self-acquired property. If someone does not have a will, the inheritance of the grandfather's property will follow the existing succession law.

Talk to a Lawyer

Factors Affecting Grandchildren's Inheritance Rights

Inheritance rights for grandchildren can differ based on Jurisdiction, with several key factors coming into play. Some of the typical considerations include:

  • Will and Estate Planning: When a grandparent makes a will or trust, they can decide how their belongings should be shared, including whether grandchildren should receive an inheritance.

  • Probate Laws: When a grandparent passes away without leaving a will, the rules of the area where they lived determine how their property gets divided. In certain states, these rules may favor spouses and children over grandchildren in the distribution of assets.

  • Adoption Status: When a grandchild is adopted, their inheritance rights can differ from those of biological grandchildren.

  • Relationship: The grandchild's inheritance can be affected by their relationship with the deceased.

  • Blended Families: In situations where a grandparent was part of a blended family, which means they had children from multiple marriages, it could potentially impact the inheritance rights of their grandchildren.

What is the Right of the Grandchild in the Self-Acquired Property of the Grandfather?

A grandchild does not have any birthright in the self-acquired property of his grandfather if it has been allotted to his father in a family partition in his capacity as a legal heir and not as a coparcener under the Hindu Succession Act 1956 . The grandfather can transfer the property to whoever he desires. If the Grandfather dies without leaving any will, then only his immediate legal heirs i.e. his wife, son(s), and daughter(s) will have the right to inherit the property left behind by him.

Consult: Top Property Lawyers in India

As the properties inherited by the wife, son(s), and daughter(s) of the deceased would be treated as personal property of those who inherit the same, no one else has any right to claim any share in the same property. In case any son or daughter of the grandfather dies before his death, then the legal heir of the predeceased son or daughter will get the share that the predeceased son or daughter would have got. The grandchild of the grandfather shall be entitled to get a share of his/her predeceased father only but if the father is alive then she/he is not entitled to any share.

When Can a Grandchild Inherit Grandfather's Ancestral Property

A property that is inherited by a Hindu from his father, father's father, or father's father's father, is ancestral property. The right to a share in such a property accrues by birth itself, unlike other forms of inheritance, where inheritance opens only on the death of the owner. Rights in the ancestral property are determined on the basis of per-stirpes and not per-capita. So, the share of each generation is first determined and successive generations, in turn, sub-divide what has been inherited by their respective predecessors. If the property is an ancestral property, the grandchild has an equal share in the same. He can file a civil suit for declaration and partition along with a petition for interim relief. Rights protected by law cannot be denied.

A grandson's right on his grandfather's ancestral property accrues by birth. The right is vested the minute the grandson is born, and it does not depend upon his grandfather's death. A grandson thus owns an undivided share of ancestral property since the very beginning. The distribution of property takes place in such a way that each share gets further divided into successive generations.

When Can a Grandchild Inherit Grandfather's Property Through a Will?

Every adult and sound individual can execute a Will. A person who writes his/her Will is called the Testator. Only and only if the grandfather has specified in his Will before his death that his grandchild will be a legatee/beneficiary of a specified share of their estate, then only will that grandchild be entitled to inherit that particular share of his grandfather's estate/property/assets/wealth. However, if the grandfather dies without a valid Will, the succession will be governed by the rules of Succession. For example, in Hindus, will be governed by the Hindu Succession Act, 1956.

Talk to a Lawyer

When can a Grandchild inherit Grandfather's Property without a Will?

The succession of the estate is governed by the Hindu Succession Act, 1956 if the deceased Hindu did not leave behind a will. The grandfather's property can only be inherited by a grandchild if the parent through whom they are related has died before the grandparent. In such cases, the share that the parent would have inherited if they were alive will be distributed amongst the grandchild and their siblings. This share is equally divided.

Can a married granddaughter claim rights in grandfather's property?

In India, the 2005 amendment to the Hindu Succession Act, 1956, ensured that daughters have inheritance rights. This change also raises the question: Do granddaughters have the same rights in their grandfather's property as grandsons? The answer is yes, for both Hindus and under the Indian Succession Act, 1925. Even if a granddaughter is married, her rights to her grandfather's property remain intact because she is still a blood relative. If her parents are no longer alive, she can rightfully inherit the property. In Muslim law, daughters and other female descendants are entitled to inherit half of what sons receive. This is because they have a rightful claim to their parent's property, and there are also provisions for their maintenance and Mahr (dower) from their husbands.

How to Transfer Property from Grandfather to Grandson?

A grandson's entitlement to his grandfather's property is not inherent or guaranteed. It hinges on the specific desires of the grandfather. If the grandfather consents, he has the option to include the grandson's inheritance rights in his will, which will only become valid upon his demise. Alternatively, the grandfather may opt to transfer the property as a gift during his lifetime. In either scenario, the grandfather's voluntary agreement and approval are imperative.

Difference between Property inherited from Father and Grandfather

1. If the nature of the property inherited is ancestral, then the grandson and his father have equal rights. 2. A grandson has the birthright to claim a share in the property of his grandfather. The father's self-acquired property, however, shall vest in the child only after the death of the father. 3. A child can be excluded by his father from his self-acquired property, but a grandson cannot be excluded from the ancestral property of his grandfather. 4. If the grandchild is passed the self-acquired property of the grandfather, he can inherit that property only after his father dies. The grandchild shall receive the share of his father.

Talk to a Lawyer

How can a Lawyer Help You?

At times the law and the legal procedures can get confusing and hard to understand, particularly when the issue is in regards to a dispute related to family property. In such a situation, one may not understand how to decide the legal issue, the area to which the issue relates, whether the issue requires going to court, and, how the court procedure works. Seeing a property lawyer and getting some legal advice can empower you to comprehend your decisions and can give you the assurance to empower yourself to decide your legal plan of action. An experienced lawyer can offer you expert guidance on how to deal with your property issue owing to his years of experience in dealing with such cases. A real estate lawyer is an expert on the laws related to property and can enable you to follow a strategic framework while avoiding mistakes that may cause monetary damage or will require future legal proceedings to correct. Therefore, by hiring a property lawyer an individual can ensure that he can stay away from deferral and get his share in the property as quickly as possible. You can also use LawRato's Free Legal Advice service to get free advice on your case from expert property lawyers.

What happens if the issue is not addressed timely?

Property disputes between families are a common occurrence in India nowadays. Legal disputes over property occur among individuals at various levels in society, be it families with low-salary or wealthy families. Even a will as solid as iron can be challenged by the troubled beneficiaries and the property can be put to dispute for a long time except if settled by the courts. Therefore, it is critical to resolve the issue at the earliest opportunity with the assistance of an experienced property lawyer, who can direct you with the case and can enable you to get your share in the property in an effective and less time-consuming way. References:

  • 123456789/2338?locale=en

  • policies acts/acts

  • connect/DOIT_Land_Building/land/home

  • connect/doit_land_building/Land/Home /Grievance+Redressal

  • 123456789/1713?view_type=browse&sam_ handle=123456789/1362

These guides are not legal advice, nor a substitute for a lawyer
These articles are provided freely as general guides. While we do our best to make sure these guides are helpful, we do not give any guarantee that they are accurate or appropriate to your situation, or take any responsibility for any loss their use might cause you. Do not rely on information provided here without seeking experienced legal advice first. If in doubt, please always consult a lawyer.

Connect with top Property lawyers for your specific issue

Comments by Users

Can I file a suit for ancestral property but my father is alive .can any chance grandson claim a share of grand father property

Reply by LawRato
A son is the joint owner of the ancestral property and has a right to file a partition suit for his rightful share in the property. However, the son does not have such a share in the property if the property in question is self-acquired, and not ancestral.

A son can ask for his share during the lifetime of his ‘father’ or even ‘grandfather’ (whoever is the Karta).

For a clearer answer, it is recommended to hire a lawyer who will guide you after understanding the facts and circumstances of your case. 

Does my grandmother's property belong to my younger brother?

Reply by LawRato
Since your question is specific and requires more information in order to guide you better, it is advised that you click on the link and send in your detailed query for Free Legal Advice - Free Legal Advice by Expert Lawyers

Alternatively, you can consult a lawyer who will guide you after understanding the facts of your case better. You can hire a lawyer by clicking on the link below. - Top Family Lawyers in India 

Grandfather self earn properties ,they have 7 children ,they make dividetion they divide in 4 part self grandmother and 2 son ,dose any problems create by other 5sisters ,draft made in 1969

Reply by LawRato
Since your question is specific and requires more information in order to guide you better, it is advised that you click on the link below and send in your detailed query for Free Legal Advice. 

Free Legal Advice by Expert Lawyers

Father and grandfather both died minor has his Taya ji also who is trying to sell share of minor son of his deceased young brother what remedy the minor has

Reply by LawRato
In this case, both civil and criminal remedies can be resorted to:-
Civil - A suit can be filed against the uncle for declaration and possession of the minor's property under sections 5 and 34 of the Specific Relief Act, 1963. This can be done on behalf of the minor in the appropriate court by a next friend - a legal guardian or a Court appointed guardian - to represent the minor's interests, as per Order 32 of CPC. If the property is on the verge of being sold to another then an injunction can be sought too. But if it has already been sold, a relief for cancellation of conveyance deed vide which the property has been transferred illegally, can be sought. The suit should clearly state that it is being filed on behalf of the minor and should provide all relevant details about the case, including the nature of the dispute, the parties involved, and the relief sought.
Criminal -  An FIR under Section 420, IPC for the offence of cheating can be lodged against the uncle if he has sold his nephew's property (which did not belong to him in the first place) and induced delivery of payment from an innocent purchaser.

Madhulika Verma
After the grandfather's demise and his children also pass away and grandchildren can inherit but if few grandchildren die then their spouse will inherit the share of the proper?

Reply by LawRato
As per Section 10 of the Hindu Succession Act, 1956 if the children of one's grandfather say for instance, your father and uncle die before your grandfather does, leaving behind the grandchildren, then upon the death of the grandfather, the share which would have otherwise devolved on your father and your uncle would now be divided between their respective widows and their children (grandchildren of the grandfather). In case one of the grandchildren has also pre-deceased the grandfather, then his share will devolve and be divided between his wife and children, if any. In the absence of his children, the share will devolve solely on the wife of such grandchild. But in case the son or daughter of the grandfather is alive, the grandchildren will have no claim to stake on their grandfather's intestate property. 

Hi. Can a grandfather will his property in such a way that his grandchildren from his son 's first wife only are entitled to the property and kids from second wife of his doesn't get anything

Reply by LawRato
It is possible for your grandfather to transfer his self-acquired property to anyone as desired by way of a Will. Nonetheless, legal heirs who possess a right and stake in the property, in your case, the children from the other marriage, can challenge such inheritance in a court of law. Following this, the court will evaluate the legitimacy of the inheritance, and the rationale behind excluding the legal heirs, and will subsequently deliver a verdict that will be binding on everyone involved.

my grandfather was died they have not property will now our house is on my fathers name now my father and we are two brothers so i get share my 1/3 demand

Reply by LawRato
If the father dies without a valid Will, his property will devolve according to the rules laid down in the Hindu Succession Act (presuming that you are Hindu). According to the Act, such property will be divided equally into Class 1 heirs. These include sons, daughters, wife, etc. You can hire a lawyer who will guide you through the process to get your rightful share. 

rajendra chauhan
grandson claim his grandfather ( 1980 sell deed did not do thumbs he was signing )so grandson challege this suit ?

Reply by LawRato
Since your question is specific and requires more information in order to guide you better, it is advised that you click on the link below and send in your detailed query for Free Legal Advice. 

Free Legal Advice by Expert Lawyers

Alternatively, you can consult a lawyer who will guide you after understanding the facts of your case better. You can hire a lawyer by clicking on the link below. 

Top Property Lawyers in India 

Ashutosh Singh
My grandfather and grandmother dies intestate leaving 3 sons 2 daughters married everyone living with their family , i being a grandson have right & interest into property owned by my grandfather

My father written in a note that I don't want property of his father. Can i have a right ask my grandfather's property

Bhushan Aggarwal
Grand daughter ka apne papa ki death hone ke baad un ki property pr koi right h

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
37 years Experience
Advocate Vivek Sharma
Govindpuram, Ghaziabad
8 years Experience
Advocate Aditya Parolia
Panchsheel Enclave, Delhi
13 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
24 years Experience

Related Articles

User Reviews

LawRato LawRato LawRato LawRato LawRato 4.7 - 20 reviews

good article. Can you give some more detail on the issue.

Vishnu on May 27, 2024

Good work with the article.

Anita on May 12, 2024

nicely written

Nishant on Jun 09, 2024

very helpful

Indu on Jun 13, 2024

needed legal help…whom shall I contact?

Dhiraj on May 19, 2024

informative with the law.

Varsha on Jun 15, 2024

nice work with the article.

Prabhu on May 08, 2024

Very good work with the article. Gave a nice clarity about the subject.

Ranjit on Jun 07, 2024

excellent article. Very informative

Prabhat on Jun 05, 2024

Written plainly to be understood by anyone who is from a non-legal background.

Ankit on May 08, 2024

nice legal article.

Ankush on May 09, 2024

The writer has explained the law perfectly.

Pawan on May 11, 2024

Nicely written article. Very comprehensive.

Keshav on Jun 06, 2024

Written in a very simple language.

Sanjay on May 09, 2024

Very helpful for my legal case.

Rachna on May 14, 2024

loved the way concept is explained. Nicely written for any layman to understand.

Gurpreet on Jun 03, 2024

nice article

Kumar on Jun 04, 2024

how to contact a lawyer for my legal case?

Laxman on May 14, 2024

Helped a lot in understanding the law.

Neeraj on May 23, 2024

Nice piece on the subject.

Swapna on May 06, 2024