False Dowry 498a Complaint Case

  • Fighting against False Dowry and Harassment Case

    False dowry and harassment cases filed by women on in laws and husbands are being heavily misused. The government is following steps to amend it to make justifiable to all. The number of false cases being filed against the husband and his family has been rising and has come in notice of the government.

    Introducing penalty and punishment for the misuse of the act is an action that the government is likely to take. In order to curb the misuse of this act, a judgment passed by the Supreme Court on the IPC 498A states that the police must give reasons before arresting the accused.


    How to protect yourself from false 498A case

    There are 2 options available if your wife or in laws have filed or are threatening to file a false 498A dowry harassment complaint case against you and your family.

    First, if your wife is staying with you, we would advice you to make call recordings or video recording of her making such threats. These recordings will make strong evidence if and when the case goes into trial in the court.

    Second, if she has left your home then you can file a written complaint in the local police station stating that she left your house. If the case has already been filed we suggest you to hire a competent advocate to defend yourself and your family in the court.

    You also may even want to file an anticipatory bail for yourself and your family if you suspect that a criminal complaint can be filed against you.


    File Mutual Consent Divorce

    Know More

    These guides are not legal advice, nor a substitute for a lawyer

    These articles are provided freely as general guides. While we do our best to make sure these guides are helpful, we do not give any guarantee that they are accurate or appropriate to your situation, or take any responsibility for any loss their use might cause you. Do not rely on information provided here without seeking experienced legal advice first. If in doubt, please always consult a lawyer.

Get free legal advice from top Divorce lawyers for your specific issue

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 17 years

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)

 Experience: 18 years

View all >>

Get free assistance for your legal issue

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly

We're in News