How can NRI couple married in India get mutual divorce? Where to file?

How can an NRI couple married in India get Divorce by Mutual consent? My nephew got married in India in 1997 according to Hindu marriage rites and was later registered. At the time of marriage my nephew was working in the US and the girl was in India. Later both of them became naturalized American citizens and had a son born in America.


Now they are breaking up. Kindly let me know 1. Can they file a divorce case in India 2. Whether the judgement will be binding in USA 3. Will the divorce proceedings be taken cognizance and implemented in USA 4. can they initiate divorce proceedings on line and through video conferencing 5. what is the time frame?



With respect to matrimonial disputes, the jurisdiction of courts is determined based on the following considerations:

i. Where the marriage was solemnized
ii. Where the couple last stayed together (the matrimonial home)

In your nephew’s case, they are amenable to the jurisdiction of both India and US. So, they can file a divorce petition either in India or in USA. 

However, we would like to mention that it is preferred that you file the divorce petition in India as a divorce decree passed in USA can be challenged and declared null and void in India on the following grounds:

i. When Granted by Court not authorised by Indian Law to grant the same
ii. When one side is not heard or his/her submissions not taken on record
iii. On a ground not recognised by Indian Law
iv. When the proceedings are against principles of Natural Justice
v. If it is obtained by fraud

In such a case you shall end up divorced in USA and married in India. 

2. As a marriage registered in India is recognized in USA, similarly a divorce decree passed in India is also recognized in USA. India is the court of competent jurisdiction as the marriage was solemnized in India as per Hindu rites and rituals under the Hindu Marriage Act and even registered in India.

3. After a divorce decree is passed in India, you shall have to file a case for recognition of the said decree in USA and your divorce shall be recognized in USA. 

4. Yes the divorce proceedings for mutual consent divorce can be initiated in India through video conferencing by sending over a Power of Attorney. 

5. The Court under Mutual Consent Divorce gives a statutory period of 6 months for the parties to resolve the dispute and in case the parties are unable to resolve their issues within this time period, the divorce is granted.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Hindu we got married in 16 th April 2016 and now my husband wants divorce presuming that he is already married in Poland where he is staying for more …

Read More

how to get divorce from husband who is fit for nothing how to manage the childrens future from husband how long it will take to get divorce…

Read More

My sister is going through a bad marriage in Bangalore. She got married 1 and half years back and has a baby girl of four months. Her husband and moth…

Read More

My wife is not with me from 2013 till date can I file for divorce…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue