Can wife ask share in my self acquired property after mutual divorce?

What is the procedure for Mutual Divorce? Can my wife claim rights to my self acquired and ancestral property after the Divorce is granted my mutual consent?


She is ready to give me in writing that she needs nothing from me after the Divorce but still if she wants, does she stand a chance to claim any share later?


Also, please advice on how much time does the mutual consent Divorce take?




Assuming you both are Hindus, Mutual Divorce is recognized under Section 13B of the Hindu Marriage Act.


Section 13B states that the parties can jointly move a petition for dissolution of marriage by a decree of divorce in the District Court on the ground that they have been living separately for a period of one year or more, that they have not been able to live together and that they have mutually agreed that the marriage should be dissolved.


The Court shall then record the joint statement of the Parties and pass a First Motion Order giving time of 6 month to the parties to resolve their dispute, however in case the parties are unable to resolve the issues within the stipulated time, the Court shall pass a decree of Divorce. So therefore divorce by mutual consent takes about 6-7 months.


Your wife cannot claim any rights to your self-acquired or ancestral property during your lifetime but your wife can claim a right of residence under the Domestic Violence Act. Moreoever, your wife is entitled to alimony (maintenance) from you which maybe made by way of monthly payments or one time payment. 


As you are mentioning that she is ready to give you in writing that she doesnt want anything from you, then we suggest you should enter into a Settlement Agreement with your wife whereby a specific clause with respect to this can be added that she shall not claim any maintenance (past, present or future) from you. And after the Agreement is executed you can move a joint petition for divorce by mutual consent.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

i got married last year in 14 feb.. i m momdan..starting days of my marrige my husband and mother inlaw demanded 1lacs rupees.. my husband wr nt worki…

Read More

I am hindu punjabi married to hindu punjabi boy in gurudwara in 1996. We have a son he is 18. My husband is having affair. We had fights and he beaten…

Read More

I, the husband, have self acquired property before marriage and also the ancestral one. in case of divorce, what will happen. Presently, we are living…

Read More

I want divorce from my wife but she is not ready for mutual consent. I have a son too. I have her call recordings where she talks to baba to do kala j…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue